The club started in late 1990 with its first official walk being run in 1991 from the Nepean City Hall (now Ben Franklin Place). Over the years the club has promoted non-competitive walking to people of all ages.
The club is a member of the Canadian Volkssport Federation (CVF) which oversees the organization and running of the Internationaler Volkssportverband (IVV) sponsored walks and awards program here in Canada. Being a member of the CVF and IVV provide the club members access to walks and events in over 40 countries around the world. Many of our members take advantage of this when planning travel to places near and far.
Here in Ottawa the club has run events within the city as well as out into the Ottawa Valley in order to provide interesting places for our members to walk. The club also holds social events to provide a different venue for club members to get together and have fun, such as Golf tournaments and bowling nights.
The Club believes that walking should be fun, healthy and enjoyable so we try to have a nice mix of trails and street paths utilizing the best of what Ottawa has to offer. The National Capital region is our play area and we try to see all of it! So come join us and see parts of the region you may not have ever seen.
Club membership provides the walker with the following benefits:
- Three newsletters per year
- Newsletters are sent out electronically (unless there is no email account for the walker, then they are mailed out).They are also published on our website.
- Invitations to social events
- A vote at the Annual General Meeting(AGM)
- 15% Discount off regular priced merchandise when presenting your Partner Card at any New Balance store.